Thailand is a popular tourist destination, known for its beautiful beaches and islands. One of the lesser-known but equally breathtaking islands is Koh Samet. Located in the Gulf of Thailand, this small island is a hidden paradise that offers a perfect getaway from the hustle and bustle of city life. In this article, we will explore Koh Samet’s beauty, activities, and places to visit, and provide you with a comprehensive guide to this hidden gem.
Getting to Koh Samet
Koh Samet is easily accessible from Bangkok. The nearest airport to Koh Samet is U-Tapao International Airport, which is about 45 kilometers away. Alternatively, you can take a taxi or a minivan from Bangkok to Ban Phe, which is the nearest town to Koh Samet. From there, you can take a ferry or a speedboat to the island.
Best Time to Visit Koh Samet
The best time to visit Koh Samet is from November to February when the weather is dry and pleasant. However, if you prefer to avoid the crowds, you can visit Koh Samet during the low season from May to September. During this time, the prices of accommodation and activities are lower, and the island is less crowded.
Accommodation on Koh Samet
Koh Samet offers a range of accommodation options, from budget-friendly guesthouses to luxurious resorts. The most popular areas to stay on the island are Ao Phai, Sai Kaew Beach, and Ao Wong Duan. If you are travel on a budget, you can find affordable guesthouses and bungalows on Sai Kaew Beach. However, if you prefer more luxurious accommodation, you can opt for resorts on Ao Phai or Ao Wong Duan.
Beaches of Koh Samet
Koh Samet is known for its beautiful beaches, each with its unique charm. Sai Kaew Beach is the most popular beach on the island, with crystal clear water and white sand. Ao Phai is another popular beach that offers a range of water activities such as snorkeling and kayaking. If you prefer a quieter beach, you can visit Ao Wong Duan, which is less crowded and perfect for relaxing.
Things to Do on Koh Samet
Koh Samet offers a range of activities that cater to different interests. Here are some of the top things to do on the island:
- Snorkeling and Diving Koh Samet has a rich marine life and is an excellent place for snorkeling and diving. You can rent snorkeling gear and explore the coral reefs and marine life in the clear waters around the island.
- Kayaking and Paddle Boarding Kayaking and paddle boarding are popular activities on Koh Samet, and you can rent the equipment from various vendors on the beaches.
- Island Hopping Tours You can also take island hopping tours to explore the nearby islands and their stunning beaches. These tours usually include stops at several islands, including Koh Kudi, Koh Talu, and Koh Man Nai.
- Sunset and Nightlife Koh Samet has a vibrant nightlife scene with bars and clubs that cater to all tastes. Some of the popular spots to catch the sunset and enjoy a drink are located on Sai Kaew Beach and Ao Phai.
Places to Visit on Koh Samet
Apart from its beautiful beaches, Koh Samet also has several attractions that are worth visiting. Here are some of the top places to visit on the island:
- Ao Phai is a beautiful beach located on the eastern side of the island. It is one of the most popular beaches on the island, and it is lined with bars, restaurants, and shops.
- Sai Kaew Beach is the most popular beach on Koh Samet, known for its crystal clear water and white sand. It is a great place for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.
- Ao Wong Duan is a quiet beach located on the northern side of the island. It is less crowded than Sai Kaew Beach and is perfect for relaxing and enjoying the beautiful scenery.
- Hat Sai Kaew Viewpoint is located on the southern end of Sai Kaew Beach. It offers stunning views of the beach and the surrounding islands.
- Khao Laem Ya National Park is located on the mainland opposite Koh Samet. It is a beautiful park with hiking trails, waterfalls, and stunning views of the Gulf of Thailand.
- Wat Ko Samet is a Buddhist temple located in the middle of the island. It is a peaceful place with beautiful architecture and stunning views of the island.
- Ao Kiu Na Nok is a small beach located on the northern side of the island. It is a secluded beach that offers stunning views of the Gulf of Thailand.
Food and Drinks on Koh Samet
Koh Samet offers a range of dining options, from local Thai cuisine to international cuisine Some of the popular dishes to try on the island include seafood, Tom Yum soup, and Pad Thai. If you are looking for a drink, you can visit the many bars and clubs on Sai Kaew Beach and Ao Phai.
Safety on Koh Samet
Koh Samet is generally a safe place for tourists. However, it is always advisable to take precautions, such as keeping your valuables safe and being aware of your surroundings.
Koh Samet is a hidden paradise that offers a perfect getaway from the busy city life. It has beautiful beaches, a range of activities, and stunning natural attractions. Whether you are looking for a relaxing vacation or an adventure-filled trip, Koh Samet has something to offer. So, if you are planning a trip to Thailand, make sure to add Koh Samet to your itinerary.
- Is Koh Samet expensive? :: Koh Samet can be both expensive and affordable, depending on your choice of accommodation and activities.
- What is the best time to visit Koh Samet? :: The best time to visit Koh Samet is from November to February.
- How do I get to Koh Samet from Bangkok? :: You can take a taxi or a minivan from Bangkok to Ban Phe and then take a ferry or a speedboat to Koh Samet.
- What are the popular activities to do on Koh Samet? :: The popular activities on Koh Samet include snorkeling, jet skiing, island hopping tours, and exploring the national park.
- Is Koh Samet a good place for families? :: Yes, Koh Samet is a great place for families. It has calm and shallow beaches, water sports activities for kids, and a range of accommodation options suitable for families.