As more people spend time at home due to the pandemic, home improvement projects have become increasingly popular. But not everyone has the budget for a full-scale renovation. Fortunately, there are plenty of easy and affordable DIY home improvement projects that anyone can do. In this article, we’ll explore five DIY home improvement ideas that can help spruce up your living space without breaking the bank.
Paint an Accent Wall
If you want to add a pop of color to your room without committing to a full paint job, consider painting an accent wall. This is an easy DIY project that can be done in a weekend. Choose a bold color that complements your existing decor, and make sure to properly prep the wall before painting. You’ll need painter’s tape, a drop cloth, a paint roller , and a paintbrush. It’s also a good idea to have a friend or family member help you with this project.
Install Floating Shelves
Floating shelves are a great way to add storage space to your room without taking up too much floor space. They can also be used to display decorative items or plants. You can purchase pre-made floating shelves from a home improvement store or make your own using wood and brackets. Make sure to properly measure and install the shelves to ensure they are level and secure.
Upgrade Cabinet Hardware
If you want to update your kitchen or bathroom without spending a lot of money, consider upgrading the cabinet hardware. New knobs or handles can give your cabinets a fresh look and make them easier to open and close. You can purchase hardware from a home improvement store or online. Make sure to properly measure the distance between the screw holes before purchasing new hardware.
Add a Backsplash
A backsplash can add visual interest to your kitchen or bathroom and protect your walls from water damage. You can purchase pre-made backsplash tiles or make your own using mosaic tiles or adhesive wallpaper. Make sure to properly measure the area before installing the backsplash and use appropriate tools to cut the tiles to size.
Create a Gallery Wall
A gallery wall is a great way to showcase your favorite artwork or family photos. You can create a gallery wall using frames of different sizes and colors. Make sure to properly measure and plan the layout before hanging the frames. You can also use adhesive strips to avoid damaging your walls.
DIY home improvement projects can be a fun and rewarding way to spruce up your living space. Whether you want to add a pop of color to your walls or upgrade your cabinet hardware, there are plenty of affordable and easy projects that anyone can do. Just make sure to properly plan and measure before starting any project.
1. How much does it cost to paint an accent wall?
- The cost of painting an accent wall will depend on the size of the wall and the type of paint you use. On average, expect to pay between $100-$300 for paint and supplies.
2. Can I install floating shelves on my own?
- Yes, installing floating shelves is a fairly easy DIY project. Just make sure to properly measure and level the shelves before installing.
3. How do I properly measure for new cabinet hardware?
- To properly measure for new cabinet hardware, measure the distance between the center of the screw holes on your existing hardware.
4. How do I install a backsplash?
- To install a backsplash, you will need to properly measure the area and use appropriate tools to cut the tiles to size. You will also need to use adhesive or grout to secure the tiles to the wall.
5. How do I properly plan a gallery wall?
- To properly plan a gallery wall, start by selecting the frames and artwork you want to display. Lay the frames out on the floor to determine the best layout. You can also use paper cutouts to test different arrangements before hanging the frames.
6. What is the easiest DIY home improvement project?
- Painting an accent wall is one of the easiest DIY home improvement projects. It requires minimal tools and can be completed in a weekend.
7. Can I make my own backsplash tiles?
- Yes, you can make your own backsplash tiles using mosaic tiles or adhesive wallpaper. Just make sure to properly measure and cut the tiles to size.
8. How can I make sure my floating shelves are secure?
- To make sure your floating shelves are secure, use appropriate brackets and screws to attach them to the wall. Make sure to properly level the shelves before installing.
9. Do I need special tools to upgrade my cabinet hardware?
- No, you do not need special tools to upgrade your cabinet hardware. You can use a simple screwdriver to remove the old hardware and install the new hardware.
10. How can I make my gallery wall look cohesive?
- To make your gallery wall look cohesive, select frames and artwork that have a similar color scheme or theme. You can also use matching mats or frames to create a unified look.